A mother has described the heartbreaking moment she woke from a coma to discover her baby boy had died at birth after she was given 10 times the prescribed dose of morphine at a private hospital in the West Australian town of Bunbury.
- Sarah Hassan and Sunny Alam arrived at the hospital for what they described as an uncomplicated pregnancy
- Ms Hassan was given morphine as she went further into labour, but fell into a coma after being given too much
- The baby died and Ms Hassan was put into intensive care as her body reacted to the massive overdose
Sarah Hassan and her husband Sunny Alam said she was given 100 milligrams of the drug during labour instead of 10 milligrams to ease the pain, at St John of God Hospital on December 10.